A few tips to make it easier on you.
1. Start with a basic plan of what you want your finished product to look like. I can't tell you how many forms I've wrapped in a pretty color of yarn thinking I could make something of nothing only to unwrap the whole thing because I couldn't figure out how to finish the darn thing! which leads to #2...
2. Don't be afraid to unwrap your wreath if you don't like how it looks!
3. Wrap that yarn TIGHT. I always do a nice tight layer and then go over it with a "sloppy" layer to give it a more textured look. This ensures that the form is nice and covered, and it gives the finished look a little character.
6. Different textures create visual interest. I've found that using different thicknesses of yarn, and different fibers for my embellishments helps create depth and makes it fun!
7. Make something that makes you happy! Wreaths are pretty much only there for decoration, and why hang up something unless you love how it looks! Everyones tastes are different, so don't be afraid to make a custom wreath just for you. I love seeing a happy little wreath on my door every time I come home. Makes me smile!